evans bank has been strongly committed to the community for over 100 years
Evans in the Community
Evans Bank proudly supports projects that benefit the community through lending and investments.
Community Development Programs
Evans Corporate Social Responsibility Report 2022
Community Development Lending
Evans Bank takes great pride in providing construction loans and other financing to projects that serve the community, especially those in the greatest need. Here is a sampling of the projects we have helped make possible:
- A $15MM construction mortgage was granted to Westminster Commons, LLC to construct/renovate several facilities into an affordable housing and human services complex for senior citizens within the City of Buffalo. This venture provides 84 units to individuals at 30%, 50% and 60% or less of the area medium income; 40 units will be set aside for seniors with persistent mental illness and 26 for the homeless.
- A $8MM line of credit was originated to The Chautauqua Center, Inc. to construct a new 4 story health care facility in a rural county where medical resources are limited. This project provides primary care to the underserved and uninsured populations and focusing on those experiencing homelessness.
- A $12.1MM construction loan was originated for Angela’s House LLC, with loan proceeds used to convert the former Villa Maria Academy, located on the border of low and moderate-income tract, into a 67-unit senior housing project.
- A $5.5MM commercial mortgage was originated for Ellicott Commercial Owner, LLC, to finance the purchase of property now occupied by Braymiller Market, a grocery store providing fresh food in a food desert. The market opened in September 2021 and has been referred to as “a critical amenity” in local news publications. A $7.5MM line of credit was also provided.
- A $1.96MM construction mortgage to Broadway-Fillmore Neighborhood Housing Services, Inc. (“BFNHS”), with loan proceeds used for the redevelopment of two low-income properties (“The Cigar Factory Apartments”) into an 11-unit affordable housing apartment building with rents set below the 50% area median income.
- A $2MM line of credit was renewed for Northwest Buffalo Community Health Care Center, Inc., a not-for-profit organization that provides primary health care to the underserved and uninsured populations and focusing on those experiencing homelessness. This venture provides healthcare services to low- and moderate-income families in Erie County.
- An $8.67MM line of credit was originated for Neighborhood Health Center of WNY, Inc., a not-for-profit organization that provides primary health care to the underserved and uninsured populations, regardless of an individual’s ability to pay.
- A $1.1MM term loan was originated for Home Headquarters, Inc, with loan proceeds to help fund the Buffalo Landlord Fund, developed by the Buffalo & Erie County Lead Safe Task Force to help make rental properties safer for children.
Evans Community Investments
We invite you to learn more about our support initiatives.
- In response to the horrific attach at the Tops Supermarket on Jefferson Avenue, Evans Bank donated $100,000 to the Buffalo Together Response Fund established by Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo and the United Way of Buffalo & Erie County. Visit Buffalo Together Press Release to learn more about this intiative.
- An innovative public-private partnership between Mayor Byron W. Brown and the City of Buffalo Office of Strategic Planning, Evans Bank, Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency (BURA), the Buffalo Erie Niagara Land Improvement Corporation (BENLIC) and MMB Realty will build and market up to ten single family homes on Adams Street in East Buffalo. Evans Bank is providing the financing for the construction of the homes. To learn more, visit Evans Bank Infill Housing Press Release.
Evans Signature Programs
Work/Life Solutions is a workforce program of the United Way of Buffalo & Erie County made possible by Evans Bank.With the spirit of an innovative social enterprise, the program is offered in the workplace as an employee benefit. The program assists employees in overcoming obstacles unrelated to work that can lead to decreased job performance and workplace attrition.
The program is delivered through a set of three on-site solutions:
- Resource Coordinator
- Work/Life Solutions Loan & Savings Program
- Financial Education Classes
To find out more about how Work/Life Solutions can assist your employees:
Building Excellent Schools
Evans is proud to support two Buffalo charter schools—Buffalo Collegiate Charter School and Persistence Preparatory Academy—which are part of the Building Excellent Schools initiative.
We partner with these schools in a variety of ways—we provide financial support, we have Evans bank executives serving on both boards and we collaborate on projects to support BCCS and PPA scholars, faculty and families on an ongoing basis.
With unrelenting determination and a commitment to excellence, Buffalo Collegiate Charter School educates students in grades 4 through 12 to graduate from the college of their choice and serve as our next generation of leaders.
Through rigorous academics, high-quality instruction and leadership development, Persistence Preparatory Academy Charter School ensures that all K through 8 scholars are firmly on the path to succeed within a four-year college and create positive change within their communities.
Evans Community Commitment Team
Employee-Led Local Charity and Not-for-Profit Support
The Evans Community Commitment Team (CCT) fosters service and volunteerism within the Evans family of companies and throughout the communities where we live and work.
In supporting not-for-profit charities on a local level, Evans continues to identify itself as a true community financial institution, offering support through manpower, and if available, sponsorship dollars. Evans Community Commitment Team members are visible at various events throughout the year, serving as goodwill ambassadors of the organization.
Past events and activities supported include:
- United Way Day of Caring
- Buffalo News Kids Day
- American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk
- Volunteering at our Evans partner charter schools
- Family Justice Center Mosaic Event
- Summit Walk
- Cantalician Center Prom